What if my child needs medication in school?

Posted by:

Prescription medication may be given in school only after the school nurse receives written orders from the student's healthcare provider/dentist and signed consent from the parent/guardian. New medication orders are required at the start of the school year and expire at the end of each school year. Only medications in original prescription containers, currently prescribed by a physician and brought to the nurse’s office by a parent or other adult, will be given at school. All medications taken during the school day must be stored in the nurse’s office and be picked up by a parent/guardian before the close of the school year. Any medications that are not picked up by the last day of school will be destroyed. Under certain circumstances, in consultation with the school nurse, a student may self-administer asthma inhalers, insulin, or Epi-pens® during the school day.  Contact your school nurse for more information.  The Medication Administration Policy can be found on the Policies & Forms section of this website.

Over the counter (OTC) medications including Advil, Tylenol, etc. can be given during the school day after the parent/guardian completes an OTC medication permission form. The form must be completed each school year. Your school nurse can provide you with a copy of the OTC Medication Form or you can access it on the Policies and Forms section of this website.