FY20 Budget Process
The goal of this news item is to keep you informed of the current budget process. We know that not everyone follows finance process closely, so we hope this simple breakdown is helpful and that you walk away knowing where we are and what we are trying to accomplish. If you have any questions or want to learn more - please email Dr. Robert Tremblay's office at (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also watch his brief video available in English, Spanish, or Portuguese.
Public education is funded in a variety of ways. In addition to utilizing tax dollars from both businesses and residents, we also receive money from the state in the form of Chapter 70 Aid. This aid is considered a general fund revenue. Learn more by visiting this website: Chapter 70 Info. The budget for the 2019-2020 school year is currently in the final stages and a second draft of the budget book will be presented to School Committee Wednesday night (April 3rd). At this meeting the School Committee will have a budget discussion and vote on a 2019-2020 budget dollar amount to submit to Mayor Spicer.
We have heard from all of our Principals and Departments on what they wanted in order to provide the best education to your children. We captured that, reduced as needed, and submitted the request through this budget book which is still in draft form. This is the link to the FY20 Budget Memo. The final edition will be submitted to Mayor Spicer on or before April 9th. There are a series of steps listed below that need to happen before we find out what number is approved for the 2019-2020 fiscal year. We will look to keep you informed along the way.
- April 3, 2019: Second draft of 2019-2020 budget book to be submitted to School Committee and final recommended dollar amount for 2019-2020 to be voted on
- April 9, 2019: Final edition of 2019-2020 budget book submitted to Mayor Spicer containing final recommended FY20 budget
- May 7, 2019: 2019-2020 budget presentation to City Council
- May 14, 2019: Public hearing on 2019-2020 Budget
- June 18, 2019: City Council approves final 2019-2020 City Budget
We invite you to attend public meetings or reach out Dr. Tremblay if you have any questions.