- Framingham Public Schools
An Adult ESL Update: 9/15/23
The following recap highlights the first registration event for the Adult ESL Program as they expand into Milford. It was provided by Kevin O'Connor, Ph.D., Director of Framingham Adult ESL Plus, and some excerpts were pulled from a recent article in the Metrowest Daily News (Milford).
FAESL's expansion to Milford was made possible with about $200,000 in funding — obtained after an open and competitive process — from the Massachusetts Department of Education's Adult and Community Learning Services division and the FAESL Student Advisory Council.
This turnout was a manifestation of the great need for classes like ours in the town of Milford. We regret that there could not have been space for everyone who applied, but we are so pleased to be able to help these lucky winners. These classes have been made possible with funding by the MA DESE Office of Adult and Community Learning Services and space and logistical support donated by Milford Public Schools.
Now we have the space, the staff, the funding, and the students!
Many thanks go to:
- Principal Lopez, for welcoming us into the school so warmly. The event was positive and smooth, even with a packed cafeteria!
- Superintendent McIntyre and Assistant Superintendent Consigli for their partnership in this initiative. This registration event was the realization of an idea three years in the making.
- Reni Coletti, Selectman O'Laughlin and Superintendent Tremblay for supporting this idea and making the introductions.
- Dana Varzan-Parker and ACLS for support along the way, in both Milford and in Framingham. Our staff was reflecting that it takes a large program to do this well. A program funded for eight staff could not have handled that crowd. By recruiting from our Framingham staff, we were able to bring in over 30 staff and volunteers who provided help and language support to make this such a successful event.