About the School
The Charlotte A. Dunning Elementary School, originally called The Frost Street Elementary School, was renamed for Charlotte Alyosia Dunning in 1965, in honor of her many years of service to the Framingham community. She served on the Board of Public Welfare for 35 years, 30 years of which she was Chairwoman.
- provided by fifth grade students in Mrs. Shapiro's 2002-2003 class
Charlotte A. Dunning is located in Framingham, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston about 30 miles west of the city. We service over 500 students from Kindergarten through Grade 5. Some of our specials include Music, Art, Instrumental Music, and Physical Education.
The school is situated 100 yards from Frost street at the top of a circular drive nestled behind its very own Nature Trail that was built in 2001 as an Eagle Leadership project.
Nature Trail Entrance
- view from Dunning looking out to Frost Street.
The courtyard in the center of our school building is a great place for activity and learning each season. In the fall we observe the leaves changing colors. Our second graders plant bulbs as part of their science unit. Third graders utilize the courtyard to study ecosystems. The trees provide a living laboratory for fourth graders. Our art teacher can be seen with students in the courtyard for still life drawing exercises.
We are proud of our school which features the following amenities:
- Bamboo is our mascot and leads us in celebrating our Panda Pride!
- Dunning Core Values: We are RESPECTFUL, RESPONSIBLE, and READY TO LEARN!
- Our Care and Share program that collects food items for A Place to Turn, a local food pantry
- Afterschool Running Club and Art Club
- Morning announcements presented daily by our fifth grade students
- SAGE program for gifted and talented students
- Before and after school program through Explorers.
- English as a Second Language program for our students from around the world
Annual events that Dunning hosts include:
- Art Night
- Kindergarten Sing Along
- Grade Three Recorder Concert
- Grade Four State Fair
- Monster Mash
- Sweetheart Dance
Our school celebrates the unique strengths of each child. Our community supports the growth of each child into a lifelong learner.