Welcome to Mrs. Hoehlein's Fifth Grade Class!
Contact me at: email@example.com
“Reading should not be presented to children as a chore or a duty. It should be offered to them as a precious gift." Kate DiCamillo
We are a Community of Readers, Writers & Historians
Welcome to fifth grade! This webpage is a place for you to learn about me (your teacher!) and our classroom. You will find links for learning and exploring cool topics, homework, upcoming events, clubs and downloads of important papers for both students and parents. We also use a Google classroom site for many assignments. My email is posted above. I update our website often throughout the year. Use Mrs. Sidebottom's webpage for math/science & research writing.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR OCTOBER
- Parent conferences 10/17, 10/24/10/31 & 11/7
- Pumpkin Fair Saturday, October 26th
- THURS. SPECIALS assigned by letter (A-C) in 12 WEEK BLOCKS
- Check out your group (click)
Scholastic BOOKS online, click on book icon Use our class code HWCYN
PARENT LETTERS AND NOTICES
- Confidential form English Portuguese
- Morning Meeting (English/Portuguese)
- Welcome Letter English Portuguese
- Reading Workshop (English/Portuguese)
READING WORKSHOP DOWNLOADS
- READING LOG Why Have a Reading Log in 5th Grade?
- Guidelines for reading Scholastic News
- Reader's Workshop Grade 5
- Book Review template
- Text structures slide show
WRITING WORKSHOP DOWNLOADS
Narrative Unit 1
- Techniques to Raise Level of Narrative Writing
- Narrative Writing CHECKLIST
- Questions to Ask as You EDIT
- Discovering Comma SECRETS
Literary Essay Unit 3
- Structure of an essay
- Checklist for Literary Essay
- Literary Essay sample on Shells
- Student Editing Checklist
The Newspaper Club meets Tuesdays after school in Room 36 until 5:00 pm.
Potter Page Turners
Usually meets on the last Thursday of each month 8:00 - 8:50 am
Next meeting is Thurs. Oct 31st at 8:00. Hope everyone can come!
Our current book is The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
Fifth graders are expected to read 30 minutes nightly and complete a log that is signed and turned in each Friday. Books travel back and forth in zip bags. Students read same book at school and home. Goal is to complete at least 1 book per week.
Thursday, October 17, 2019
READING: Logs due tomorrow
- RAINY DAY READING!! Perfect:)
- Corrections for Scholastic News
WRITING: Narrative Fix Ups & REFLECTION
- Make any edits you noticed yesterday
- Complete REFLECTION sheet. Be thoughtful.
- Parent/Student Conferences begin 10/17