In Framingham, we are proud to be able to give the students such a wonderful and enriching opportunity to start their instrumental musicianship at such an early stage. It takes dedication from not only the students, but the parents/guardians and teachers that make all of this work. It is crucial to each and every student to receive music training as part of their elementary education and those that have signed up for band are now learning more sophisticated aspects of coordination, responsibility, multi-tasking and cognitive learning. The traits of a successful musician is something that can be conducive to everyday life. By starting in elementary school, the students will be prepared for more difficult levels of music next year in middle school where they are expected to be more independent. Who knows? Maybe your student will continue to perform in high school bands, then in college and become an educator and performing musician just like their 5th grade band teachers!
Join band and be a part of a culturally and socially rich experience that the students will never forget!
Option 2: Rent an instrument from Centre Music House Questions about renting? Contact Centre Music directly at (508) 875-0909 or their website at https://www.centremusic.com/
Option 3: Borrow a used instrument from school. Keep in mind these instruments are not brand new. they are part of our district inventory and have been previously used. they are cleaned and sanitized every year. if you are interested in this option please email your child’s music teacher and they will provide your child with a form at the start of next school year.
*given the current situation we are currently experiencing, we want to ensure that we will help make it possible for every student to be involved in an instrumental class if they wish to be a part of one.*
2. What instrument brands do you recommend?
Instrument brand names to trust: -yamaha - gemeinhardt - bundy - jupiter - selmer - buffet - king - conn
Instrument brands to stay away from: - first act - glory - borg - mendini - any bright colored instruments (i.e. pink, blue, green, etc.)
3. When do instrumental lessons take place? Instrumental classes are during the school day. Instead of your child taking a music class once a week, they will now take an instrumental music class once a week.
4. When should I rent the instrument? We suggest getting an instrument over the summer so that they will definitely be prepared for the start of the school year. Music stores are very busy during this time so getting an instrument in advance is always advised.
5. When will my child need to bring their instrument to school? iInstrumental lessons typically begin the third week of school. If you have the instrument, your child can start bringing it on their music day the third week of school.
6. Why do I have to include a first and second instrument choice? Instrumental classes are organized by instrument. (i.e. all trumpets are in a class together). Class sizes cannot exceed 30 students so if we have more than 30 students sign up for trumpet at a school we will need to have some students choose their second instrument option. Please make sure students list their top 2 favorite instruments to play. All instrument groups are compiled on a first come first served basis.
7. Can my child stop taking instrumental lessons during the school year? We advise students that they need to take instrumental lessons for the entire school year. If they do not wish to continue playing the following school year then they can choose a different subject at that time.
8. Do I need to purchase a book for my child? No. A free book is provided by Framingham Public Schools. This book will be given to your child during their music class.
9. What other accessories are needed for instrumental classes? Clarinet & Alto Saxophone - Size 2.5 reeds (These reeds can be purchased at centre music or online.) Brand names to trust: - rico reeds - vandoren reeds
10. What are the expectations for being in an instrumental music class? - Students are required to practice at home at least 3 times a week. The more a student practices, the better they will be on their instrument. - There will be concerts during the school year that your child will participate in. This is a great moment for all the students to come together and show their school and families their instrumental progress.
11. Why are string instruments only offered at Barbieri, McCarthy, and Stapleton Elementary Schools? The strings program is very new in the District. Currently, we only offer this at three elementary schools but plan to expand it to other schools in the future.
5th Grade Band Books
Every Band student will get their own free hard copy Band Book at the beginning of the school year. Below are digital copies in case students need them throughout the year.