Offices are closed for in-person service / Os escritórios estão fechados ao público/Las oficinas están cerradas al público.
Due to COVID-19 statewide school closures, the Parent Information Center is extending all deadlines associated with Kindergarten registration and school choice for the 2020-2021 School Year.
School Choice Deadline
Wednesday, April 8, 2020
Friday, May 8, 2020
Kindergarten Assignments Email
Friday, May 15, 2020
Friday, June 12, 2020
The deadlines above were selected based on a return-to-school date of April 6th. If there are any further changes to our return date, these deadlines are subject to change.
In-person school tours will remain cancelled, however, we are exploring alternative solutions. More information to follow.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out via email:
WELCOME MESSAGE FROM DR. TREMBLAY
Welcome to the Framingham Public Schools!
My name is Bob Tremblay and I am proud to lead our school district as Superintendent of Schools. In Framingham, we believe in family and community engagement. We know that our schools are stronger when there is a partnership between our educators and school leaders and our community of families.
In becoming a City, voices have been lifted from across the Framingham’s 9 districts and difficult topics around race, gender, and poverty - among others - have taken center stage in our public, ongoing school improvement discussions. Framingham students and their families continue to benefit as we raise awareness and advance solutions that enlist collaboration between elected officials, school and district leaders, and our strong team of educators and support staff. Inclusive policies and practices and equity-minded models of programming and resource allocation have been implemented to improve access for students and families in our school community. And we have only just begun.
We believe that lifting the voices of our students and our families is the best approach to developing a shared commitment to making our school district exceptional! We welcome the opportunity to hear from you directly as we, together, ensure equity of opportunity and work toward improved outcomes for our most important stakeholders - our students!
I hope to meet many of our families, in person, in our schools and at community events throughout the year. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I may be of service to you and your family.
Very truly yours,
Welcome Class of 2033!
Click to view or download our registration guide for parents and/or guardians of the incoming Kindergarten Class. It contains information on required documents; the controlled school choice process; school profiles; and more.
Enrollment Requirement for New Students entering Kindergarten
- You must be residing in Framingham at the time of your registration appointment.
- You must be a Framingham resident in order to attend Framingham Public Schools.
Residency Requirements (Español | Português)
- A child must be 5 years old on or before August 31, 2020 (No exceptions to this rule).
- Important: Students will not be considered enrolled until parents/guardians submit the required documentation during the in-person registration.
- Before you start the online application for the new kindergarten student, please read the important information in the next section.
Click here to complete the online registration
(It may take 30 to 45 minutes to complete all the online required information. Thank you!)
Student Registration is now online! After you've completed your online pre-registration, you can easily book your registration appointment with the Parent Information Center. This appointment is required!
For the 2020-21 school year, Framingham Public Schools will be using an online system called Registration Gateway for student registration and the in-person Appointment Scheduler.
- All new students will be enrolled through a link on the District's Website.
- Schools are legally required to collect copies of specific documents (see list below) in order to enroll students. You’ll be bringing those to your registration appointment so they can be verified by the PIC office staff (and scanned and uploaded into the system).
- Completing the online registration process at home at your convenience will save you time, and part of that process will include making the appointment to bring in your child’s documents.
- Additionally, if you are registering multiple students, information in the first form will be pre-loaded into the second registration form when you use the link on the Submission Confirmation page to register another student.
- We recommend using a non-mobile device to complete this task if possible, as it is easier with access to a keyboard.
- Important: All the information regarding language exposure will be reviewed with parents/guardians during the in-person registration appointment. At that time a determination will be made whether a second visit is necessary. Your child will be required to come for an English proficiency evaluation. Program recommendation will be made according to the test results. Testers will discuss results with parents. Click here for detailed information.
(It may take 30 to 45 minutes to complete all the online required information. Thank you!)
Documents required at registration appointment
Homeless families are encouraged but not required to provide these documents.
- Your child's birth certificate - (Long form/Government issued)
- Proof of residency - (Signed lease or Mortgage/tax bill)
- Proof of occupancy - (utility bill)
- Proof of parent/guardian's identification
- Your child's most recent physical examination and immunization record
(Must be within the last 12 months)
- Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan - If child receives Special Education Services
- Proof of guardianship/custody - If child is not living with one or both natural parents
Kindergarten Registration Timeline
1. Complete online pre-registration form and schedule registration appointment with the Parent Information Center (outlined above)
2. Attend your in-person registration appointment, be sure to bring required documents. At this appointment, you will:
- Register your child
- Discuss the controlled school choice process, including the timeline for decision making
- You will receive an online Choice Form once all your required documents are submitted
3. Tour Elementary Schools (Cancelled due the COVID-19 closures)
- A schedule will be created, but each school hosts at least one daytime tour and one evening tour. We encourage parents/guardians to come without children to have the most beneficial experience.
4. Submit Controlled School Choice Form by Wednesday, April 8th (Updated deadline Friday, May 8th)
5. Receive Elementary School and Program Assignments via email by Friday, May 15, 2020 (Updated deadline Friday, June 12th)
- If you receive your Assignment Form and choose not to have your child attend Framingham Public Schools, we ask that you please follow the instructions in the email to let us know by Friday, May 22, 2020.
6. Attend Kindergarten Orientation on Monday, June 1, 2020 (Cancelled due the COVID-19 closures)
How Kindergarten Assignments are made for students registered during the formal registration process (12/1/19 - 05/08/2020)
Students entering Kindergarten in 2020 will continue to be assigned through a Controlled Choice Program. Under Controlled Choice, families are able to choose from among all nine Framingham elementary schools. Students who require a specialized program (Special Education or English Language Learner Program) will be placed per the guidelines of each department in consultation with the family.
Dual Language Programs
Students requesting a seat for ANY of the Dual Language Program (Spanish and/or Portuguese at Barbieri, Brophy, Potter Road and W.Wilson) will be assigned as follows:
- Sibling Preference
IMPORTANT: Sibling preference applies to the school building only, not to the program (except Barbieri School).
- Home district preference
Only for Brophy, Potter Road and W.Wilson.
Barbieri does not have a Home District Preference.
- All other first choice of school requests
- All other second choice of school requests
Once you choose a Dual Language Program and your student is assigned a seat, no other choices of schools or preferences such as home district or sibling will apply.
Students who choose their Sibling Preference school as their first choice
Students who choose their Home District preference as their first choice.
You don't know your home district school? Please check our directory by address.
Home District Street Listing
Students whose first choice is NOT their Sibling or Home District preference school.
An entering kindergarten student with an older sibling who is currently in grades K-4 has a preferred assignment to the older sibling’s school building and not to the program (Except Barbieri School), if that school is designated as the first choice as long as the registration is completed on or before Wednesday, April 8, 2020. (Updated deadline Friday, May 8th)
Each student is designated a Home District school based on their home address. Students who live within one mile of the King School may currently qualify for two Home Districts. During the registration appointment, parents will be asked to choose which Home District they wish to designate as their own. Home District may influence school assignment. If you have questions about your student’s Home District School, please call or email the Parent Information Center. Some schools may have few or no seats available after siblings and first choice Home District students have been assigned. You don't know your home district school? Please check our directory by address. Barbieri does not have a Home District Preference.
Are conducted for any school where the number of first choice requests exceeds the number of available seats.
Dual Language Programs: Any student who is not assigned to their requested Dual Language Program, will be placed on waiting list(s) for the language programs they were not assigned to. Dual Language Program waiting lists remain active until the start of second grade.
General Education: Kindergarten waiting lists will be maintained for the top two choices if assignment to a first or second choice was not possible. All Kindergarten waiting lists dissolve on Thursday, October 1st, 2020.
DON’T WORRY! We’ll be happy to answer all your questions at your registration appointment
Transition to Kindergarten Video
31 Flagg Drive - Door 4A - Framingham MA 01702 - Phone: 508-424-3420 - Fax: 508-879-1023
Open year round - Office hours - Mondays: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm** Tuesday to Friday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm Closed on the weekends
** Extended hours are available on regular school days only. Please note that not all PIC services are available on extended hours.
Please call us for more information. Thank you!