Framingham Public Schools
Eighth Grade Curriculum Outcomes
Language Arts | Math | Science | Social Studies | Art | Music, Choral & Instrumental
Physical & Health Education | World Languages | Technology & Engineering
Mathematics / Algebra I
Brief Statement of Subject Matter:
Students work with basic operations within the four strands identified by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks, and the Framingham Public Schools Mathematics Curriculum. These four strands are:
- Number and Operation Patterns
- Functions, and Algebra
- Geometry and Measurement
- Data Analysis, Statistics, and Probability.
Students engage in problem solving, estimating, communicating, reasoning and connecting in order to:
- work with the basic operations in arithmetic.
- use multiple strategies to investigate and solve problems.
- recognize and formulate problems from real world situations.
- link mathematics to other curriculum areas.
- use everyday language to describe mathematical ideas.
- respond to open-ended and open-response questions related to mathematical concepts.
Basic Text: IMPACT Mathematics, McGraw Hill Glencoe, 2005
Basic Text: Algebra I: An Integrated Approach, McDougal, Littel, 2000