Second graders will . . .
- begin to acquire the necessary skills to read and create maps, charts, graphs, and timelines.
- engage in activities that develop geographic understandings based on the Five Themes of Geography – location, place, human/environment interaction, movement, and regions.
- develop the concept of community.
- explore different types of communities.
- study a community of long ago.
- develop an appreciation of diversity and history through the study of holidays and famous people, with emphasis on President’s Day and the study of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington.
- read and write across the social studies curriculum.