First grade students will . . .
- begin to acquire the necessary skills to use maps and globes to locate and name continents and oceans, as well as to explore symbols, directions and scale.
- engage in activities that build geographic understandings based on the Five Themes of Geography – location, place, human/environment interaction, movement, and regions.
- investigate the concept of family.
- compare own family to a Pilgrim family.
- compare own family to a family of another culture (Japan, Kenya, Puerto Rico, or Brazil).
- develop an appreciation of diversity and history through the study of holidays and famous people, with emphasis on Martin Luther King, Jr.
- read and write across the social studies curriculum.